Monday, December 10, 2012

Happy Chanukkah! Vegan Latkes, Organic Gelt, and Dreidle Madness

Shalom!  Mazel Tov!  All that good stuff!

It's the third day of Chanukkah, and thus far I have eaten about 20 latke's and an entire jar of apple sauce.  It's wonderful.  I love it--it's good being Jewish.  Why?  'cause everything tastes much better when I'm Jewish, as opposed to when I'm not Jewish.  Make sense?  It should!  MmmMMMmmmmMMMMmMmm!

I was lucky enough to have found some Organic, Fairly-traded and Vegan Gelt this year.  Whoop whoop!  Want some?  Just visit Mama Ganache's online store.  Get to gettin' while the gettin' is good!  And when you get at gettin', I challenge you to a Du-Du-DUDUDUDUDUEL... with dreidle's.  I am so going to win.  And if I can't win I'll just frustrate you and keep spinning my dreidle off of the table like an adamant, not-happy-when-I-keep-losing 10 year old child.  Heed the warning.  And if you don't know how to play with dreidle's properly (what have you been doing with your life?  Go back to start!), then you can read-up on the basics here.

I'm actually rather exhausted at this moment.  I have officially entered 3 recipes in to the Cupcake Category for Earth Balance's 3rd Annual Holiday Bake-Off, and that $&!# is effin' EX-SAWST-EENG (exhausting. Derp!).  I am hoping to win.  I wanna win.  I am doing visualization exercises, imagining myself having an AMAZING TIME in Las Vegas.  I am so going to win.  And if I don't win the "Grand Prize" I'll at the very least PLACE WELL and get my name out there, which will turn-out to be the best thing.  I can't loose.  There is no such thing!

Without further adieu I now share with you my simple, delicious, and o'course VEGAN latke recipe!  



What I listened to while I wrote this blog:
Shake Your Bon-Bon - Ricky Martin
(click to watch/listen) 

6 ingredient Vegan Latkes
10 large potato's

2 red onions
Sea Salt (I like Celtic Sea Salt), about two dashes
Black Pepper, two dashes
3 tablespoons High-Heat Sunflower Oil
3 tablespoons Millet Flour or Garbanzo Bean Flour

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
Grease 2 stainless steel cookie sheets with oil and set aside.

Grate the potato's and onion in to a bowl.  Add the black pepper, Sea Salt, Oil and Millet or Garbanzo Bean flour.  
Pick-up about 1/2 cup of the Latke mixture and squeeze it tight between your hands, getting out much of the liquid out of the vegetables (and obviously the oil).
Form in to about 3 inch diameter, dome-shaped "balls" and set on to the cookie sheet.
Once you have 1 tray filled, put it in the oven.  They should take about 20-25 minutes to cook completely.

You should get about 12 to 14 Latkes if you follow this recipe exactly.
Top the latkes with Apple Sauce and dairy-free Sour Cream.  



Mazel tov?  Mazel tov!  NUNGIMELHAYSHINNNN!

Love, Aubrie

Aubrie is an avid food blogger.  She lives on a farm, listens to 90's music, and likes to eat Latke's with perfect proportions of Apple Sauce and Sour Cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment